Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Digital Writing (said in deep computer fabricated voice)

I really enjoyed this weeks reading by Rick Beach. Most everything that he said rang true to me, as I am very excited to use technology and digital writing practices in my classroom. I think that using blogs, videos, and Web 2.0 in the classroom is an awesome way to engage students in writing that my otherwise seem dull or boring. Not only will these practices help to catch our students attention, but it they will also help us (teachers) and the community become more engaged in the educational process.

I have visions of students having blog partners from around their community, city, state, country, and world ... the possibilities are endless. Opening up student blogs to readers outside of the classroom will not only encourage students to be more mindful of what they are writing, but it will also help them see the real-world, practical applications of their school work. A student who seems more oriented to math and science could pair up with a local business professional. These two could then comment back and forth on each others ideas and blog posts. The student will not only feel a sense of importance, but will also establish connections between their writing and their future.

Link o' the week: This weeks winning link is to Tim O'Reilly's (the same Tim as mentioned in the Rick Beach article) website, but not just to his website, specifically to an article outlining the differences between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Nathan--I wrote nearly the same response to Beach's post...fun times in room 225. I think in addition to it being fun for students, teachers and building an international community (such as your blog), it's also becoming increasingly necessary for students to understand and navigate their way around this world, whether they are looking at post-secondary education or not.

Angela said...

Don't ya just miss the guy? I too would love to take on a Rick Beach like persona in my classroom and try some new technological things. My cooperating teacher says she's not hip to the techno jive but more power to me if I am. Well, I'm not convinced that I am so good at utilizing all of the fun little tools that are out there, but I would love to try. The kids in my classes aren't scary at all. I can laugh with them, at them, and at myself. They do the same. It's good.

Ms. Hanson said...

nathan,

you have some great idears... :)

- A - C - said...

With all these rewarding and exciting possibilities (exciting maybe, rewarding.. only time will say), I am wondering whether the students can still be made to appreciate good literature.