Wednesday, September 26, 2007

An Eye for Editing

At the beginning of the music video for Feist's "1234," the scene is immediately set in an warehouse. However, this warehouse, with purple, yellow, and red walls, is more colorful then the average warehouse. Feist then walks out of a door that is in the center of the screen. The echo of her footsteps can be heard before she is seen (an interesting choice by the sound editor). The music then begins in the background as Feist continues to walk towards the camera; her footsteps can still be heard. Her sequined blue outfit is the next object that appears to the viewer. Her face and other small details appear last as Feist walks closer to the camera.

When Feist finally reaches the camera, the camera begins to move to keep the walking Feist the center of the shot. From this moment on the camera remains focused on Feist for the rest of the video. The scene never changes, neither does the wardrobe of the cast. This was a nice juxtaposition to the many music videos that are flashy and use a lot of editing and cutting to impress the viewer. Instead, the simple editing techniques (or at least they appear simple to the viewer) allows the viewer to enjoy the impressive and entertaining choreography of Feist and her fellow dancers.

Very near the beginning of the video Feist is joined by a slew of dancers dressed in a wide array of colors. Despite all the is now happening in the video the camera remains fixed on Feist. It moves in circles, up and down, and in a spiral motion, yet always follows the same person. The video also appears to have been shot in one take. Whether or not this is true, the image that it gives is strong. By never cutting away, and always focusing on Feist, the video really gives the viewer a sense of how big the warehouse is. I enjoy that as a viewer I am allowed to explore the set of the video for myself. I often times get frustrated with music videos the focus only on dancers or singers, not allowing my to experience the sometimes massive sets.

The end of the video includes some very nice editing. The choreography is such that all of the dancers end up in a V formation behind Feist. Feist then walks towards the camers and the dancers move in behind her and vanish. We are left with a scene very similar to the beginning of the video: Feist alone in the warehouse. She bows (a moment that allows Feist to speak to the audience, thus inviting viewer participation) and the video ends. It is a great video. But if you don't believe me, watch it for yourself:

3 comments:

Bakes said...

Nathan,

Again, thanks for the Feist cd. I am definitely a big fan. This video also did an excellent job showcasing the song. I enjoyed reading your commentary and watched it again afterwards with a fresh perspective. I think you touched on it already, but what struck me the most was the low-tech nature of the video. It was really nothing more than people in a warehouse in various color-coded costumes dancing with each other. I think that in some ways technology forces directors to become more and more dependent on computer editing and fancy tricks. This video shows what can be done with choreography and some sweet dance moves. Have you watched "My Moon, My Man" yet?

-Chris

Steve Markey said...

Nathan great job analyzing this video. I had no idea this song had a video to it; 1234 is such an addictive song. I remember hearing it on the ipod commercial and just loving it immediately. Is the rest of this new cd this good? I think I'm going to ask Feist to marry me :)

Genevieve said...

This does not relate in any way to your post, but I thought you'd enjoy it.

Check it:
Take your pants off!