Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Graveyard Book

I had a very tough time connecting to The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which was surprising to me as I have very much enjoyed other of Gaiman’s books. While reading The Graveyard Book I kept thinking of my childhood and my strong belief that inanimate objects were alive when I wasn’t around. I would imagine my toys having the best time all day while I was at school. I connected this idea to Gaiman’s premise that the dead have another life all their own that we do not know about.

The idea of life after death is controversial and greatly depends on ones religious views. Gaiman asks the reader to suspend belief and come to the understanding that the dead live on after they have left their human bodies. Not only do they live on, but they live among us, not in a world separate from our earth.

I have given very little time or thought to the idea of what happens after death. It has always been my belief that a person lives on in memory through those that he or she touched throughout life. With the recent passing of my grandfather, I found reading The Graveyard Book somewhat comforting. It was a pleasant thought to think of my grandfather hanging out with friends and family members who have previously passed away. I do not think that Gaiman intended The Graveyard Book to be a book of comfort about death, but this is one of the purposes that it served for me.

Gaiman gave his reader many different ways to enter into the fictional world that he created in The Graveyard Book. It is clear that the gates of the graveyard where Bod and his family live are one such entrance. The layout of the book, the chapter breaks, and the illustrations also provide that reader a portal into Bod’s world. The first chapter begins with a minimal amount of words printed in white ink on black paper. This is followed by several pages of drawings intermingled with text. The drawings are black and white and have a sketch like quality, giving the reader just enough information to draw them in without overpowering Gaiman’s words.

The Graveyard Book reads like a collection of short stories more than a novel. As a whole it follows a very loosely defined western plot arc. Each chapter could almost be read independently of the book. It is almost as if Gaiman was writing down a collection of folk tales or fables from another world. Each story teaches Bod a lesson. In The Witches Headstone Bod learns the importance of honesty and not stealing. He also learns that good intentions are rewarded. In Nobody Owens School Days Bod learns the value of trusting his guardian, Silas, when he tells Bod that leaving the graveyard is a grave idea.

I cannot say that The Graveyard Book was my favorite Neil Gaiman title. In fact, it ranks quite low overall in my young adult list. However, I can see the value in the novel and have tried to understand why it was awarded the Newbery Medal. Gaiman’s writing is accessible to readers of all ages. He is able to effectively tell a compelling story that also teaches a lesson. Gaiman has set up his book of ghost folklore in a fashion that mimics what a western reader would expect of such a book. At the same time Gaiman is stretching his reader’s ideas about the world. Accomplishing all of this and writing a good book at the same time is truly a feat to be honored.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Nathan--Yes, I am finally getting around to responding to your posts! As I said in my blog, I enjoyed The Graveyard Book significantly more the second time around. As you said, it seems to lack of cohesiveness which make it difficult to absorb as an individual piece, versus segments of Bod's life.
I don't know how to take the idea of the dead living amongst us. What seems clear is that not all of the dead "walk"--we aren't given information as to whether this is their purgatory, or if there is a period in which all dead roam, etc. What I enjoy and what I wonder you felt, also, was that this tale set in a place of death teaches us that life is worth living.
I didn't feel that religion was a significant piece of this text at all--if anything, it may certainly turn off some readers because of the lack thereof.
Perhaps it will be a better read for you the second time around.