Thursday, November 29, 2007

Media in the Classroom

How would I use media in the classroom? Who knows ... I honestly have no real answer for this question. I am not up-to-date on what books have been made into movies, what movies were inspired by books, and what is appropriate to use in a classroom. I feel as if I should have a way better answer for this question (especially after taking this class), but there is so much out there that I don't know where to start.

I know that I really want to incorporate media into my classroom. And I know that I want to do it in a very specific and engaging way. When I was a student, movies in the classroom often meant nap time. I want to find a way to use movies without putting my students to sleep. One way to do this is to use clips of a movie. If I only show five or ten minutes of a movie, students have little time to get bored. This will also force me to make sure that the clip I want to show is valuable to the class. If students want to see the entire movie they can rent it or stay after school to watch it.

Besides movies, I want to bring in music and other forms of media into my classroom. Music is such a vital part of everyday life, no matter who you are. It is almost impossible to go through a day without hearing music. Whether it is on the radio, mp3/CD player, on T.V., or in a store, music plays a part in life. I would like to explore music with my students. How does it influence them? What parts of music do they pay attention to? Is it related to reading or understanding a text?

1 comment:

Bakes said...

I agree with your movie=nap time statement. We need to make sure before showing a movie that
1. it's relevant
2. students will take something away from it.

I think music is very important in creating a positive educational environment. I plan on using music during my reading and writing times in class.